Monday, March 31, 2008

I Hate Running

Maybe that's a little harsh, but really, I need to whine for a minute. Saturday was supposed to be my last 20 miler before the marathon. The last run to test what to eat, what to wear, etc. The confidence builder- in theory. So at 4:45a.m. I picked H up and we drove up Logan Canyon, planning to run home. Holy cow. It was darker than dark. No stars and no moon to kind of light the way, just H's head lamp glowing before us. About two miles into it, H says, "Oh shoot, oh shoot, oh shoot, Carrie, there's a moose- Run!!! Oh shoot, oh shoot, oh shoot!" There was buddy just chillin' to the side of the road probably thinking, "What are you two weirdos doing?" So for the next 2 miles we booked it, all the while glancing back thinking the man-eater moose was after us.

We eventually settled down and continued to scare each other with, "What was that?" or "what if we saw a bear, etc. etc." And then the fun began for me. Without being too graphic or sharing TMI, for the next 14 miles I became familiar with the bushes of Logan Canyon, Lee's Grocery store, Sports Academy and Racquet Club, and the North Logan Stake Center. Yeah, it was the pits but the most frustrating part was that my legs felt good but the tummy didn't. To add insult to injury, for the last 2 miles Sister Headwind and Brother Snow persisted in slowing me to about a crawl. Very frustrating. I know there are those that have zero sympathy for an experience like this because you say I brought it on myself. Very true. But for those who have been there and felt so completely awful, well, you feel my pain. Anyone have any miracle food they like to eat while running?

The good news is I am done with long training runs and am now starting to taper for the big day. I can only hope for a better experience come race day... and plenty of port-a-potties! Thanks for the vent and happy running!


This is the moment I am looking forward to most: sitting down at the finish line and eating a popsicle. Ahhhhhhhh...

9 comments:

Niederfam said...

Bless your heart...I am SOOO sorry, this is why I don't run!!! ;) BUT if I did, I would want to be as TOUGH as you are!!!!

The Quist Family said...

Go Girl!! Look on the bright side, if a moose does chase you on race day, you'll end on a record time! You look great!

Mylissa 2 said...

Carrie you are one amazing person. I complain about my long runs of 11 miles! I can totally feel your pain with the stomach thing, I take an imodium before I start running and pack one for while running if I need it! Sorry if you didn't want that much info. Good for you for running though, please run slow on the race I don't want to be embarrassed when you finish before me!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, you are wonder woman. I think my solution would have been to find the nearest pay phone, and get a ride home. But since we just had the 'I hate running' chat at my house, I am glad to hear that you have your days too! You are AWESOME!

Wes and Jess said...

Way to go! I know this picture, it's from the St. George marathon, I was there cheering you on, and you were great! Keep it up!

L said...

Are you kidding me? That sounds HORRIBLE! I had similiar experiences during my training, but for some miracle, I didn't even have to tinkle during the actual race. Lots o prayin is the miracle food:> You are incredible! Good luck and enjoy that popscicle.

PS The day that I am crafty enough to sew my daughters Easter dresses, I will sew your girls ones too! But thanks for making me feel good!

TeamDall said...

nice going--you're so impressive. i can't wait to hear how your race was. love, becca

hmilne said...

Care,
I totally feel for you. Last Oct I stopped at every porta on the course and watched my time get slower and slower...it sucks! Just be glad you got it out of your system, as for what to eat, just don't...i've learned it's the only safe bet!! Good luck! It's better to finish starving then sick! I'll be anxious to hear how the race goes.

Mortimer Family said...

Just wanted to let you know that at the moment I don't envy the hundreds of miles you have done to train, but I envy the experience you will have and the fact that you are out running...period!! I wish it were me. I need to get busy training again so I can stay motivated. Good Luck with the marathon, I know you'll do great!