Sunday, April 20, 2008

DNF

I have really been dreading writing this post. In fact, I almost didn't. But that would be wussy, and had things gone better, I most definitely would have written of my success. I also knew that as soon as I posted that first time about registering for the marathon, I would be accountable from that point on, good or bad. So here it is. I didn't finish. Am I embarrassed? No, not really. Regretful? Sort of. Disappointed? Very. Here's the story:

The Salt Lake Marathon was to be my 8th marathon and of those previous races, only once have I not felt completely awful and thrown up. Each time I think things will be different and "This will be the breakthrough race!" and each time I struggle. Saturday was no different other than the yuckiness hit around mile 18 rather than 23. We had a terrible headwind for the first 13 miles and both H2 and I felt as though we were at mile 19 rather than halfway. We seemed to be working hard the whole time, regardless of pace or terrain. I struggled with side-aches from about 15-17 and then my stomach seemed to shut down and I lost it. My power bars that is! I ran for another mile or so, lightheaded and weak and couldn't seem to pull out of it. It was there I made the decision that I was not going to limp another 7 miles to the finish. These are the thoughts I battled back and forth with: 1- I had already finished a marathon, so what did I have to prove? 2- I had already qualified and run Boston. 3- If I quit, I would have to have to A- blog about it, and B- face everyone at church the next day! 4- Would I be able to live with it? 5- I had done the throw-up almost pass out thing too many times before and didn't want to do it again. Trying to come to terms with each of them, my mind won out and my body stopped.

The best news is that H2 did qualify for Boston despite having to visit the medical tent at the end. She battled blisters, chills and running the last half by herself (cuz her lame-o running partner was chillin at the 7-Eleven waiting for a ride). All in all I am glad for the experience and always grateful that I have a healthy body that can at least attempt to run 26.2 miles. And thanks to my family and Mason's family for making the effort to be at the finish. Sorry guys. Unfortunately things don't always turn out as you envision them!

15 comments:

Mylissa 2 said...

Carrie you will always amaze me. I have always looked up to you in your physical endurance in all the races you have done! Finish or not you still do more than most!!!! Thanks again for the fun Trax ride!!!!

Haguewood Family said...

Care Bear-your the toughest girl I know. I am sorry that the race was not as we planned (you and me running through the gateway, giving people five, cheering and waving our hands in the air.) Instead we were both barfing and dying. I just made it a little further before the barf hit. What the heck were thinking...We will do crazier things I am sure.

Niki said...

Carrie, I am sorry for the experience. I for sure think you rock and it totally does not matter that on your 8th marathon (HOLY COW, amazing in and of itself) you had to stop. No biggie! I am doing my first half in May, hopefully I can do it, any suggestions?? You are awesome!

The Quist Family said...

Carrie is quite the woman!! I can't believe you've done 8 marathons and you are going to the Boston!! You are one tuff chic. Don't worry about this last one, I am sure your body is secretly saving up ALL of it's energy to place first in Boston. I wish I could be anywhere near as tough as you!!

Niederfam said...

SERIOUSLY no aplogies...we'll come to see you any and every time no matter where the "finish line" may be. You are still and will always be my running hero and inspiriation for my pathetic 5K!!!!:)ACCOUNTABILITY SUCKS!!!!

Wes and Jess said...

Oh I wondered how your race went! Kara A. and I were at the zoo when you were running and I was curious how you did. I have to say I cringed when I saw the title "DNF" but I am glad you're okay. There's got to be a reason for those pains!! All in all, it's still an endeavor to be proud of, way to go!
BTW, the nike + thing you asked about is so great, my sister told me about it and got me one. You get your distance, pace, etc. through your ipod. It is better than going and buying a huge GPS for your wrist.

Palmers said...

Carrie,
That's lousy! I'm sorry for what turned out to be one of "those" running days. What's funny about running is that no matter how hard you train or how many hours you run, you always run the risk of just having a bad run. Sorry it turned out to be the race, but look how much you did to train. It's not like you can't do it. I can't believe you've done 8, that's amazing. You've proved yourself already, don't feel bad!

TeamDall said...

Dear Carrie,
I will now write something inspirational. Something Inspirational. Just kidding. No one needs to tell you how amazing you are. You always have been. Maybe I'll knit you a Weasley sweater with a big C on it so you'll feel better about not finishing your marathon.
love Becca

Circe said...

I would have been dead before I got halfway through-so congratulations on living through almost all of another marathon. You are my fitness icon-you have a baby whose not even 1 yet and you're out running marathons-would that we could all be so in shape :)

Ndrhsrfamily said...

Thanks to you all for your very KIND comments... I swear I wasn't looking for sympathy by posting but THANK YOU! It means a lot!!!

Sue said...

I can't believe this was your 8th marathon! You are amazing! I don't plan on ever doing another marathon but if you every want to do the provo river run again (followed by some shopping) let me know. :)

You are incredible!

Redd family said...

Okay, seriously, you are awesome! I still don't think bodies are made to run that far, although obviouslly they are seeing as you have done 8!! Wow, I am beyond impressed and hope you give yourself a break!!

hmilne said...

So sorry things didn't turn out the way you wanted them to. Remember, you run for yourself and no one else! I don't think the title of your blog should have been DNF...because you finished more miles than most people will ever run! I'm proud of you Care!!

Tara said...

Carrie, It's Tara Bennett. I found your blog through Rach Von's. What a cute family -- your girls are so stinkin' cute! I loved your marathon story. Marathon, shmarathon.....did you hear that it is just not the in thing to run them anymore (at least that is what I keep telling myself :-) Check out our blog. http://weloveourlittlefamily.blogspot.com/
We have lived in North Carolina for the past two years and love it!

cragun family said...

seriously, at least you started it. I am still not even thinking about running a marathon. You are super girl! Can't wait to hear about Boston.