Thursday, May 7, 2009

How a Four-Year Old Does It

A friend of mine once told me that she believes that the "twos" are not terrible. But rather it's the "threes" in a child's life that are the hardest. "I don't like three year olds!" I've heard her say and honestly, at times, over this past year, I haven't liked three- year olds either! But, as my friend attests to, something magical has happened over the past few weeks. We have a delightful little four-year old now who enjoys helping her mother, takes care of her little sis, and overall has JUST MELLOWED OUT. Happy Birthday Romy Lou- bring on the "fours"!

Opening presents first thing.

Then it was breakfast in bed. She's been requesting this for about two months now. I asked if she wanted pancakes or French toast or something special and all she wanted was Lucky Charms. So I grabbed my Raisin Bran and we ate and giggled in her bed together.

It also happened to be Romy's "Special Day" at school, where moms and dads get to come and watch as the kids talk about their favorite things. As per request, I brought Rice Krispie pops dipped in sprinkles. They were a hit! It was so fun to see her in front of the class talking so confidently and excitedly about her little life.


CINCO DE MAYO BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!

What four-year old doesn't wish for one of those? I think the kids could have cared less what kind of party it was as long as there was cake, ice cream, games and candy.

Making our maracas.

Mexican hat dance set to 'Mamma Mia!'

Pin the tail on the donkey.

Opening presents. The kids were all so excited to give Romy theirs.

'Enchanted' cake and ice cream.


Sombrero pics. Notice Romy's dress. She wears this dress EVERY DAY. Really. Our deal is I get to decide what she wears when we leave the house and she decides what she wears at home. Pick your battles.



What's a Cinco de Mayo party without the pinata?

After the party we raced to Romy's indoor soccer game, purple hair and all. It's HER birthday, why not let her play soccer with purple hair? To top it all off, we then met Mimi and Papa at Cafe Rio (another Romy request) for some sweet pork grubbin'.

7 comments:

cragun family said...

Happy Birthday Romy. What a great party Carrie. I want you to plan all my kids parties! I love the breakfast in bed idea. So cute and what a special memory.

Mortimer Family said...

Wow! You throw quite the party! Maybe I'll call you next time for suggestions. :)

Kendra said...

Oh is it true??? Do they really get easier when they turn 4?? I am right in the middle of "I really don't like 3 year olds" stage with Ilzay!!! I'll cross my fingers and pray that you are right on that one!! :)

Haguewood Family said...

Kylie hasn't stopped talking about Romy's party. She told me on the way to church today that she wants Romy's mom to take babysit her because she is so nice...want another 3 year old????

Niederfam said...

I LOVE it!!!! I'm going to start eating my Lucky Charms in bed too!! Happy Birthday Romy!!! We LOVE you!!!

hmilne said...

Looks like a fun party! I REALLY appreciate your post about the 3's...somedays I wonder if we will survive until the 4's. I pray every night that the word "mellow" can once again be a part of our vocab.

Kristen said...

Sorry about the purple hair! We couldn't resist :) The mistake of taking your 4 year old to help pick out the presents for another 4 year old. This also means you get to double up on the presents because "I want one too!" I told her she would have to wait on the hair and earn it. Looks like a blast and thank you so much for having Macy.