Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's Who You Know

Really, it is. Let me explain by telling you about my experience last night, which can really only be described as BIZARRE:

My brother Brett is a big-wig at a large marketing company in Utah county and always seems to have some perk that he is sharing with whoever he can. Last week he invited our entire family to spend a Jazz game in his company suite. This week he had tickets and BACK STAGE PASSES to see Eve 6 at USU. Our passes would include a meet and greet with the band and "food" before the show. Who is Eve 6 you ask? I knew I had heard of them but couldn't place a song... think 1998, high school dances... "Here's to the Night" and "Inside Out" were the two songs that hit the charts. Back in '98 these guys were big. Fast forward to 2008- not so big, but attempting to make a comeback. Anyway, I thought what the heck, so I invited a friend and my sis brought along a pal too.

Let me digress a minute. When you imagine back stage at a concert are you like me and picture rocker dudes sitting on couches with a hoochie girl under one arm and maybe something even less tasteful in the other? This is where the bizarre-ness enters in. When we arrived at the back door of the Nelson Fieldhouse we were told, "Um, the band's flight got in late so the meet and greet has been canceled. But if you want there's some chips and salsa on a table over there." Super. I'm starving AND I don't get to meet the band that I don't really know anything about! And no couches either!

We made our way over to the "food" and found ourselves all alone to laugh at what we were doing. Besides a dozen guys in black Event Security t-shirts we were the ONLY ones there. Did we not get the memo or something? Now what were we supposed to do for 2 hours until the concert started? As if it couldn't get any weirder, a couple members of the band (at least we think- they looked Eve 6-ish- skinny pants and messy hair) begin to belly up to the table. But no one says anything! What could we say? "Um, you're in the band aren't you? Whatcha been doin' the past 10 years?" "We're just here for the chips and salsa..." AWKWARD. I hear them talking about how cold it is so ask where they're from, yada yada, and then I say, "So you guys are trying to make a comeback, huh?" They laughed and for a moment things were normal. And then more silence. Finally they said they were going to get some sleep before the big show. Whew! Oh, but they were gracious enough to sign an autograph.

Throughout the night there were numerous things that we found ourselves laughing at- primarily the fact that we had these back stage passes and could go anywhere we wanted. Which if you've ever been in the Fieldhouse at USU, what you see is what you get, but it was still fun to yield some power. All in all I'd say about 200 people were in attendance. Maybe I'm just getting older but it seemed really loud and everyone else looked really young. And did I mention the after party at Hamilton's restaurant that started at 10:45p.m.? Um, yeah, way past my bedtime but I'm sure it would have been pretty entertaining. We ended up having a great time and I'm grateful to my big-wig brother for hooking us up with the sweet tix!


This is "back stage" looking towards the crowd. I apologize for the cell phone pics.


Rock on baby!

2 comments:

Sue said...

That is awesome! It sounds like you still had a fun time despite some awkward moments :)

Niederfam said...

i think i'm going to pee my pants....that's a QUALITY post if i do say so myself, next time you have back stage passes, i need an invite....i LOVE it!!!!