Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Key to a Meaningful General Conference

For us at least, was driving to Bear Lake today while Romy and Ivy watched Cinderella on the DVD player and Mase and I listened to conference on the radio. It worked beautifully. The leaves were absolutely great in Logan Canyon making me think fall is definitely my favorite season.




We had lunch at the marina and it was a little CHILLY. While making peanut butter sandwiches and serving them on paper plates, I said to Mason, "I am so my mother right now!" I have fond memories growing up of picnics on the side of the road, at random picnic sites, all served with love by my mom. Some subtle differences were present though:

1- Mom always had a table cloth to cover up the you-know-what's on the table.
2- She always had some sort of fruit or veggie with the meal. I'm pretty sure BBQ Pringles weren't on her menus.
3- Mom served our sandwiches on wheat bread... none of this fluffy yucky white bread stuff!

Hope my girls look back at these make-shift picnics with as much adoration as I do!

6 comments:

Sue said...

What a great idea! Darin kept falling asleep during conference so maybe next time we should take a drive too. Nice job with the sandwiches - I'm sure your girls loved them and will have great memories of your picnics.

Redd family said...

I am so jealous of your drive up the canyon...I can just imagine the leaves!! Romy is such a mini you, I am dying looking at her! What adorable girls you have!!

Anonymous said...

We were hoping to go on a drive through Logan Canyon today too, but didn't. We always do that on fall Conference, so I was sad to not be able to. Funny though, my mom & dad use to do the same thing, just go have random picnics. Great memories, huh??

Haguewood Family said...

What a good idea. We went for a little drive to Porcupine and got hooked up at my mom's for dinner hence the extra needed miles in the morning!

Brett and Marianne said...

I love your Mom's picnic's too! How does she always remember the table cloth...I'm lucky if I remember something for McKell to eat!

Taunya said...

I love that canyon! Fall time is the best.

Isn't funny how we begin to see our moms in us as we grow up.