Sunday, August 3, 2008

Crazy Bob's Bair Gutsman- Aug. 2, 2008




An Iverson family tradition since 1970-something, I think. My dad has been doing it since nearly its beginning and just recently retired from competition a couple of years ago. Some think he is actually Crazy Bob himself, doing his last race at the age of 62. He is where I and my siblings get our mountain goat tendencies.

The race is a rite of passage in the Iverson family. I did my first Gutsman at the naive age of 11 and finished in something like 4 1/2 hours. They only give you 5 hours to complete it and if you don't you get a "Nice try but no cigar" t-shirt. Ouch. This year I set a new PR of 2:26, which surprisingly was good enough for 2nd place overall in the women. Must have been my new tunes on the iPod! (I will share later) My SIL Sherry also set a new PR and my brother Brad surprised himself with a great time as well. Fearing that my gazelle-like brother Chad was right behind me the whole race helped me to push even faster.

Spouses are not immune to the Gutsman either. Every single in-law of the Iverson family has completed at least one race. They don't have a choice, you see. It's just what we do! And they love us enough to do it. Exemptions are made for pregnancy and nowadays just plain not wanting to do it because "I've done it before and I just don't want to hurt like that." (Ah-hem, Mason. He did serve as our ride home, so thank you). But, now that I beat his PR of 2:30, he is considering making a comeback to reclaim the family title. It's a great thing to look forward to each year and a great thing to have over with too!

8 comments:

TeamTyson said...

You Iverson's are AMAZING! I was just happy to finish the race in under 5 hours, but you are breaking records and taking names. Good job, and yes I think you will see us VanZweden's again next year, but only at the starting line.... after that we will be dust way behind you! =)

TeamDall said...

nice job sister!

cragun family said...

I would definitely be getting one of those 'special' t-shirts. Way to go chica! What a fun family!

L said...

Wow! You are awesome! Congrats with the PR...I hope you got a prize for 2nd as well.

I think the t-shirt sounds cool, I think I might try for it on purpose:):)

Amy K said...

you're a good writer. and gutsy too.

Kendra said...

You are killing me girlfriend. How do you have so much energy to be mother of two and running all the time! You are amazing! -Kendra

Taunya said...

Great job Carrie! I have always been amazed that you do that race every year. One year was enough for me.

hmilne said...

Way to go!