Monday, May 19, 2008

Sugar and Spice and Spiders

I've said over and over that Romy is the little girl I never was- she loves the color pink, dolls, babies, princesses, dressing up, matching outfits and dancing. Me, not so much. I have three older brothers (and a younger sis) so much to my mom's dismay, growing up I kicked balls, played ditchem' and generally tried to keep up with the boys. My mom remembers giving me a baby doll one Christmas and I said, "What am I supposed to do with this?"

So it is surprising to me that my little dainty Rome has this thing with bugs. Without hesitation she will pick up a Box Elder bug BARE HANDED and flush him away in the toilet. "Send him for a ride" as she likes to say. Ladybugs are her favorite, as well as watching the bees do their pollination thing. But don't ask her take care of the spiders. No way. "I not like spiders, mommy." Yeah, well me neither, but would you mind getting your picture taken by the HAIRIEST and BIGGEST spider ever? Mommy thinks it would be a great blog picture! Thanks sweetie. I am awful.



Friday we participated in the Stokes Nature Center (up Logan Canyon) parent and tot program. We hiked 3/4 of a mile to the center where they taught the kids about stems, let them look at the turtle and snakes and Harrietta the Tarantula, made some crafts and then had a snack and a story. What a great day to soak in some nature!

5 comments:

Wes and Jess said...

Romy is such a cutie. One day she will pick up a soccer ball and never put it down...
Sorry about the race and your poor stomach. I saw your bro. at the race and wondered how you did. Maybe it's a food allergy or something. But goodness girl, you are astounding!

Mortimer Family said...

I was pretty much the same way when I was little, so it's strange for me to have Gracie who is ALL girl! Romy is so cute, I'm sure they'll be many more surprises to come though. It seems like just when you have them figured out, it's all new. But she has a great example to follow. :)

Kelly V. said...

Hey Carrie - I like reading your blog. I'll send you a link to mine as well. Kelly (Ross) Vincent

Niederfam said...

I would have done the same thing, it's all for the sake of a "post" too funny!!! At lest it was a safe distance away in it's cage. Maybe one day I can share "girly" stories too!!! Here's to hoping....:)

Mylissa 2 said...

I hope she doesn't have nightmares of that big hairy spider coming to get her in the middle of the night, cause I know I would!!!